Sunday, March 20, 2011

saying goodbye...


It's that time...again. The time when thousands of Navy spouses have to take on the role of mom and dad all in one. The time when you say your goodbyes for an extended amount of time. Usually no less than 2 weeks.

It's hard, hard work being a military spouse. As the spouse of a Chief, I should be used to it...and while you do get used to the absence...saying goodbye is never easy...and always takes an emotional toll on the whole family.

Here are my ways of dealing:

1) stay engaged and busy with my 2 boys.

2) I hand write little notes and leave them in places I know my Chief will find them...once he's gone.

3) I schedule regular phone sessions with my mom and sister.

4) I create, create, and create some more.

5) Set a weight loss goal...so I look amazing when he gets back. (Well I try this one every time and have yet to get it right...so I keep trying :K )

That's my list in a nutshell...stay busy, get on a routine of sorts, reach out to family, and create.

Listen up newly married spouses of the military...please do your homework. While a military lifestyle isn't anywhere near poverty...it take a special strong person to happily live with the lifestyle the military affords...don't kid yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment